All prices are approximate and are in Sri Lankan Rupees (LKR)
Note! With the pandemic situation the prices of items have gone up at certain areas. Therefore please ask for the prices before you commit to buy. I would recommend adding 20% – 30% to the prices given below until the post is updated to suit the latter half of 2021.
- Rice and Curry 120 – 220
- Kottu : 150 – 300
- Cup of milk tea 40
- Cup of plain tea 20
Average Sri Lankan eatery adds a huge amount of sugar to tea. If you don’t like your tea too sweet then you must tell them so.
- Roll/patty/ cutlet 50
- Cheese sandwich 90 (at Perera and Sons outlets)
- Bottle of water 500ml 35, 1 litre 60, and 5 litre 150
- Egg Rotty with gravy 50
- Egg Hopper 40
- String Hoppers (kind of noodles) meal with fish or egg curry 150
- Sour plantains per kg. 100
- Banana per kg. 200
Remember these are the average prices of the average eatery. Other places may charge higher but they will show it in their menu.
- Soap 55
- Toothpaste 50 upwards
- Toothbrush 45 upwards
- Packet of cotton buds 30
- Roll of toilet paper 50
- Pack of serviettes 50
- Bottle hand wash 150
- Hand sanitizer 200
Clothes and accessories
- There is a wide range choose and I cannot give you a general amount as a price. But a swim short would be around 500 and a pair of shorts would be around 800, while a tshirt may be 1200 upwards.
- A pair of rubber slippers would cost from 150 upwards at the ordinary shops while the high end shops would sell you similar ones at 1000 upwards.
- A bath towel would cost around 600.
- Digital alarm clock 150 – 1000
- Rechargeable Shaver 1000 – 12,000
- Basic mobile phone with a keypad 1900 – 8000
- Branded mobile phones usually are sold at their company marked price, and when you buy them from the agents you will get the relevant warranty as well.
- Porcelain cup 100 – 300
- Vacuum flask 1000 – 5000
- To-go cup 300 – 800
- Ballpoint/gel pen 15
- Exercise book 20
- Paper cutter 50 – 300