All prices are approximate and are in Sri Lankan Rupees (LKR)
- Rice and Curry 220 – 350
- Kottu : 300 – 450
- Cup of milk tea 80
- Cup of plain tea 50
Average Sri Lankan eatery adds a huge amount of sugar to tea. If you don’t like your tea too sweet then you must tell them so.
- Roll/patty/ cutlet 100
- Cheese sandwich 150 (at Perera and Sons outlets)
- Bottle of water 500ml 50, 1 litre 70, and 5 litre 190
- Egg Rotty with gravy 100
- Egg Hopper 70
- String Hoppers (kind of noodles) meal with fish or egg curry 200
- Sour plantains per kg. 100
- Banana per kg. 200
Remember these are the average prices of the average eatery. Other places may charge higher but they will show it in their menu.
- Soap 65 upwards
- Toothpaste 70 upwards
- Toothbrush 55 upwards
- Packet of cotton buds 100
- Roll of toilet paper 70
- Pack of serviettes 70
- Bottle of hand wash 150
- Hand sanitizer 200
Clothes and accessories
- There is a wide range choose and I cannot give you a general amount as a price. But a swim short would be around 500 and a pair of beach shorts would be around 800, while a tshirt may be 1200 upwards.
- A pair of rubber slippers would cost from 150 upwards at the ordinary shops while the high end shops would sell you similar ones at 1000 upwards.
- A good size bath towel would cost around 900.
- Digital alarm clock 150 – 1000
- Rechargeable Shaver 1000 – 12,000
- Basic mobile phone with a keypad 2500 – 8000
- Branded mobile phones usually are sold at their company marked price, and when you buy them from the agents you will get the relevant warranty as well.
- Porcelain cup 100 – 300
- Vacuum flask 1000 – 5000
- To-go cup 300 – 800
- Ballpoint/gel pen 15
- Exercise book 40
- Paper cutter 50 – 300