All prices are approximate and are in Sri Lankan Rupees (LKR)
- Rice and Curry 120 – 220
- Kottu : 150 – 300
- Cup of milk tea 40
- Cup of plain tea 20
Average Sri Lankan eatery adds a huge amount of sugar to tea. If you don’t like your tea too sweet then you must tell them so.
- Roll/patty/ cutlet 50
- Cheese sandwich 90 (at Perera and Sons outlets)
- Bottle of water 500ml 35, 1 litre 60, and 5 litre 150
- Egg Rotty with gravy 50
- Egg Hopper 40
- String Hoppers (kind of noodles) meal with fish or egg curry 150
- Sour plantains per kg. 100
- Banana per kg. 200
Remember these are the average prices of the average eatery. Other places may charge higher but they will show it in their menu.
- Soap 55
- Toothpaste 50 upwards
- Toothbrush 45 upwards
- Packet of cotton buds 30
- Roll of toilet paper 50
- Pack of serviettes 50
- Bottle hand wash 150
- Hand sanitizer 200
Clothes and accessories
- There is a wide range choose and I cannot give you a general amount as a price. But a swim short would be around 500 and a pair of shorts would be around 800, while a tshirt may be 1200 upwards.
- A pair of rubber slippers would cost from 150 upwards at the ordinary shops while the high end shops would sell you similar ones at 1000 upwards.
- A bath towel would cost around 600.
- Digital alarm clock 150 – 1000
- Rechargeable Shaver 1000 – 12,000
- Basic mobile phone with a keypad 1900 – 8000
- Branded mobile phones usually are sold at their company marked price, and when you buy them from the agents you will get the relevant warranty as well.
- Porcelain cup 100 – 300
- Vacuum flask 1000 – 5000
- To-go cup 300 – 800
- Ballpoint/gel pen 15
- Exercise book 20
- Paper cutter 50 – 300